Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Any Suggestions?

At Watkins, we have an annual internal audit. One of the audit items is to check the petty cash to be certain it balances. Last year aq few weeks prior to our audit, I replenished our petty cash drawer. The bank, in error, gave us a nickel too much. I took the nickle out and placed it in a "spare change" box in my desk. A few days before the audit, my boss insisted I balance the cash drawer. When I did, I was a nickle short. Immediately I thought of the nickel the bank had given me. So, I counted again, and sure enough I was short. Thinking I must have miscounted the money the previously, I put the nickel back into the drawer. I never mentioned the overage or shortage to my boss. Imagine my SHOCK when the auditor counted the drawer and said I was a nickel OVER.

It didn't matter that I told the auditor exactly what had taken place. It didn't matter that the drawer was over. All that mattered is the drawer didn't balance, therefore we failed the petty cash audit.

Every time I have balanced the drawer since then, it has balanced to the penny. My boss likes to tease me about the cash drawer not balance even though I insisted it did balance. Just prior to the Christmas Holiday, we receive word the auditor would be arriving about mid-January and to prepare.

My boss walked by my desk a few times just stating, "you better balance the petty cash" and chuckle. So to make him happy, I counted the money and I was 2 cents short. Swearing under my breath, I counted again and still I was short. That's when it hit me! The only time my drawer DID NOT balance, was when my boss ask me to balance the petty cash. Aha! I'm onto something here. I put in the 2 pennies from that spare change box. Then I went my boss and said "the petty cash balanced great after I put in 2 pennies! He turned a bit red, laughed and said "very good".

Last week, we were getting low in the petty cash drawer so I needed balance the drawer and cut a draft to replenish the drawer. My boss cashed the draft today and as he handed me the cash, he told me to balance the petty cash again. Being a suspicious, I counted the money in the drawer. Sure enough I was short 1 penny this time. I counted it 4 times then had a co-worker count the pennies. We came up with the same count each time. I hadn't even given out any change since balancing the drawer last week! So, in goes another penny.

Then I very quietly sent my boss an e-mail. It simply said "LEAVE MY PENNIES ALONE!" Of course he denies everything but only he and I have the keys to petty cash drawer.

I want to get him and get him GOOD for playing with my cash drawer and making me count 44 pennies repeatedly! I'm open to suggestions for a good payback. Although one I've thought of is to remove the petty cash drawer and lock it in the safe. Let him wonder what happened to the money :)

No comments: