Sunday, June 17, 2007

Time for updates:

As I stated in my previous post, my time at FedEx National will be ending soon. It was announced in May, effective July 23rd our breakbulk will become an end-of-the-line teminal. Currently we receive trailers from all over the country and Canada, break it down and ship it all over New England or other breakbulks across the country. That will change to only receiving trailers from Harrisburg, PA and New England.

Approximately 90 people will either be transferred or lose their jobs. Our office staff of 10 full timers will be cut to 3 full time and 1 part time employee - all based on seniority. When I transferred to part time, I lost my seniority. I've been asked to stay on for a week or so after the 23rd to assist with the mounds of transfer/termination paperwork. Then I'll be laid off with everyone else.

I've managed to build a small nest egg with the extra earnings. Enough to partially repay my parents for money I borrowed while unemployed. That happened yesterday and it felt great to give back to them for all they have done for me. They wanted to give it right back to me but I insisted they do something for themselves with the money. Then I suggested they join Marsha and me on the Halloween cruise. The money should cover the cost of the cruise, flight and maybe even the hotel.

My intentions on working the two jobs was to pay off my parents and put a downpayment on a house or condo. Well, I decided I really need a car before purchasing a home. My car is 11 years old with 165k miles. While my mechanic says it will probably go for another year, I don't want to start paying for repairs that I keep expecting to happen anytime. I've loved my Nissan so much that I'm looking at a Nissan Versa. It's smaller than a Sentra but it comes in a Hatchback. I used to have a Sentra hatchback and I miss the convenience.

As you can see, I changed my blog template. Eventually I will have links to other blogs again but for now, this will have to do.

3 comments:

Victoria said...

It's alive! It's alive!! I had given up on you long ago. I guess I didn't notice the new one from June 12!

Bonnie said...

yeah, i missed that other post too! wow! i couldn't believe it when i saw an update! was i hallucinating? no! it's real! nice to see you back!

Leslie said...

Wow - Bernie blogs again! I was happy to see it and to read your news. Looks like you made a darn good choice in January and it paid off well for you - congrats!

Stay in touch through blogland if not email, ok?

p.s. How's the cat?