Sunday, August 08, 2004

Stressful!

That's the only way to describe the last few weeks with my nephew. It's been 14 years since I have shared my home with another person - nevermind a pre-teen. I had become set in my way of doing things and needed to make major adjustments in my life. My laundry pile is more than double. Why do kids think just because you've worn something, for just a few hours, it's dirty? The food bill has more than doubled as well. Staples such as bread, milk and eggs I would buy every other week. I now run to the store twice a week for these items. He drinks a gallon of Kool-aid daily.

Last week Ricky had his first (better be ONLY!) run in with Manchester PD. He and a girl in the neighborhood were fighting. Although she started the fight, Ricky started the punching and left her with a black eye and several welts. The girl's grandmother opted to not press charges because BOTH kids would have been arrested - the girl for disturbing the peace and Ricky for assault. Yes, Ricky has a temper with a short fuse. One of my goals is to get him to understand why he needs to walk away before the fuse is lit. I know, it's a milestone goal for such a short period of time.

The DCF Supervisor was here Thursday evening and informed me of horrific, to say the least, news. I won't go into detail here because it is personal. Sometime within the next two weeks, Ricky will be moved to a juvenile residential facility. He needs help and it's more than any one person can give him. At this facility, he will receive intense therapy and still be able to continue with his schooling.

Work has been getting better. There is still a lot to do and because I can't work OT, I've been working through my lunch breaks. Rumor has it a new HR person will be starting tomorrow. That will take a huge amount of work off my desk and a co-worker. She has been handling the hourly new hires and I do salary new hires. I also process the paperwork for the hourly new hires. My work has become an escape for the stress I have at home and vice-versa. This stress, I believe was also reflected in a recent doctor's visit when they took my blood pressure. I have never had a BP higher than 120/80 until last week. While it's still not high by medical standards, 134/80 is high for me.

Yesterday, I did something I said I wouldn't do again - adopted a kitty. My neighbor, Debbie, came home with a stray that found her. While visiting a friend, a few blocks away, this kitty was next to her car crying away. Her friend stated the cat had been hanging around crying for several days, so Debbie brought the cat home with her. The cat is very thin and has a cold so it will go off to the vet this week for a thorough check up and shots. It would also be nice to find out if the cat is male/female and if it has been neutered/spayed.

I haven't come up with a name yet but the possiblities are: Chloe, Sweet Pea and Smudge. The name will be decided after I get a better feel for the cat's personality. Ricky and I went to Pet Supplies Plus yesterday for kitty necessities and toys. Just to give Ricky something to occupy his time, I will travel to Home Depot for items to build a scratching post and possibly a window perch for the cat. The kitty has taken a major liking to Ricky and followed him all around yesterday. While the cat went to bed with Ricky, it woke up in my bed. It's very affectionate but not very playful. It could be that it is still getting used to us or just not feeling well at this time.

Today we're off to Wig's for a day at the pool. I could use a day of doing nothing and Ricky will enjoy the swimming time. I should do laundry but that will wait for another day. Today will be a day for relaxing and enjoying the beautiful day.


No comments: