Tuesday, June 22, 2004

"Interesting Week Ahead"

The work week should prove to be an interesting one this week. Amid all the turmoil of having no HR person and short about 10 FT dock workers, Jeff (my boss) will be at the corporate office in FL for the remainder of the week. He left me with a short "to do" list that includes walking a co-worker through the paperwork associated with new hires. In other words, I just busted my ass learning a process, on my own, so I could teach someone else how to do it.

Jeff also informed me he is bringing in a temp to help with the telephones. The last temp we had was a real ditz! We reminded her daily that Jeff was on vacation and she still put calls through to his phone. Jeff has given me "complete authority", if this person isn't working out, to get someone in that can do the job. With both Operations Managers covering the night shifts and my boss being out of town, does that put me in charge?

On top of the lack of manpower, we are expecting new PC's to be installed this week. For the most part it should be simply a change in equipment. There are a few of us that have access to our hard drives and store confidential documents on the drives. My PC happens to be the biggest concern. I've managed to move the majority of the non-confidential documents to the network. It seems most of my documents are confidential - Injury/Worker's Comp Cases, Job Reviews, Employee DataBase.... they can't be moved until the new PC is ready to go on my desk. At that point I'll copy the docs to the network, set up the new PC and immediately copy the documents back to the hard drive. Then delete what is on the network.

Thankfully, my back is feeling a little better each day. I still have twinges of pain when I stand and walk but nothing close to the major pain I had over the weekend. I don't think I would be of much use at work if I were on Flexeril all week.

No comments: