Thursday, May 27, 2004

"Bad Day"

I'm having one of "those weeks" where I'm rethinking my employment at Watkins. With the HR Recruiter now living in Hawaii, it seems the majority of his job has landed on my desk. The stress level has more than doubled with the demands that everything be done NOW. Of course, without any proper training either. Things I had specifically asked to be shown, I was told "don't worry, someone else would be handling that process". Well, that process is on my desk and all without the knowledge the "someone else" possesses.

I've put in way too many hours doing other people's work, while my own work goes on the back burner. Yesterday, I was finally seeing the light at the end of the paperwork, when we lost power. Against my better judgement, I chose to go out to lunch with the rest of the office workers. With no outside lighting and only one emergency light in the office, it wasn't like we could do any work. Our discussion at lunch turned to the heirarchy at Watkins and job progressions. That's when I discovered NO ONE is considered for any position in manangement unless they have worked the dock. Even the HR Recruiter would not have been considered for a management position unless he voluntarily accepted a demotion to "Manifest Clerk".

We returned to the office (90 minutes later), the power had returned. Of course I was now 90 minutes behind in my work with fresh "must do now" demands coming from the Operations Manager. More demands from Lakeland because the "managers" in our office wouldn't know how to read and fill out a form properly if their lives depended on it. Quite frankly, they don't care if the form is filled out properly. They completely ignore the requests for more information from Lakeland.

This morning, I updated my resume and will start sending them out, again. With all that I have seen and heard at Watkins, I won't be staying with the company. I'm having a very difficult time holding my tongue with management, that can't be bothered with doing anything for themselves and expect me to do all their paperwork at 1/2 their pay. All this, while they know I will never be considered to work as their equal.

No comments: