Saturday, May 01, 2004

I'm Still Here

I thought today would be a good day to update my blog with news.

Work:

Work has been very hectic. Corporate installed a new release for payroll that had MAJOR bugs in the software. Everytime they fixed one bug, it created five more. We had almost two weeks of reporting that needed to be corrected after the programs were fixed. I told everyone, in the office, if their paycheck was accurate, I expected a tip!

Our HR Recruiter, James, gave his notice last week. I'm contemplating putting my name in for his job. The job itself doesn't appear to be difficult but he could be efficient enough to make it look easy. I must add our terminal "appears" to be a "good old boy" office. There are no women in management positions. There is a big difference in the way office "clerks" are reviewed and the reviews of other workers. All the females are office clerks or secretaries. We are reviewed on our appearance; how neat our work area is; how helpful we are to customers; attendance and of course knowledgeable about our jobs. I haven't seen reviews for the dockworkers so I can't comment about those. However, I do know there are no women working on the dock. As for the Manages, Dispatchers, Supervisors, Manifest Clerks - they are all males. Their reviews all have to do with goal setting and reaching those goals. There is nothing in their review pertaining to appearance and clean work areas. What I find most interesting is that James is in a salaried position. He is not a manager or supervisor and yet he is reviewed the same as they are. I think it would be very interesting to get his job and see how I would be reviewed.

Health
One of the first things I did, after starting at Watkins, was to make an appointment with my OB/Gyn. It's is now official, I have started menopause. Oh this is so much fun! I absolutely love having nightsweats and hot flashes. I have another appointment at the end of May to discuss how to eliminate the hot flashes and have a bone density test. My blood pressure is great. I've lost 10 lbs. and cut my smoking to 1 pack (instead of 2 pack) since my last physical. On the downside, my cholesterol is a bit high. I think she said 228. She suggested I contact my primary physician and have that checked out further. First I need to FIND a primary physician.

Home
I have a variety of containers ready to be filled with flowers and veggies. Now I just need to purchase the plants. Several of the smaller pots will have herbs - chives, basil, oregano and dill. I want to try drying or freezing the my own herbs.

I had to stop the neighborhood kitties from coming into the house. Although they are very affectionate and friendly, my allergies got the best of me. Of course they still try to get through the door but not as often.


May
The month of May will be a very busy month. Mother's Day is the start of the year's busiest week, for me. That week will include Mother's Day, 3 birthdays and 1 wedding. I'll be spending the 14th-16th in Maine, attending my cousin's wedding. While there, I'll celebrate my birthday at
Pat's Pizza in Orono. No trip to Maine is complete without a stop at Pat's! There will also be a breakfast stop at Governor's in Stillwater.

On the 22nd, Debbie has picked up tickets for a play at a local theater in West Hartford. We're going to meet for dinner first and catch up on the latest gossip. We still need to decide where to have dinner.

Well I guess that's about it for the updates. Don't be a stranger, leave comments and say "Hi".


No comments: