Saturday, May 22, 2004

What a week!

Again, it was a hectic work week. Our HR Recruiter moved to Maui and I have been assigned several of his duties. Was I wrong to think not much would be happening in HR until a replacement was found. Just yesterday I typed (yes, they still use typewriters!) 4 status change forms, 2 change of address forms, processed 1 new hire and 1 termination. Then I spent about an hour at the copier, making copies of all the paperwork being sent to the corporate office.

Late Thursday afternoon one "rumor" was finally confirmed. The New England District Manager, Mike, was promoted to Vice President of the Southwest Region. His official last day was friday and he flies to Dallas on Monday. My boss, Jeff, is next in line for Mike's job as DM.

If that isn't enough people shuffling for you, how about the District Secretary, Doreen, has applied for the HR Recruiter's job. If she is moved to the HR position, that will leave the District Secretary job open. Chances are very good that job will be offered to me.

On the homefront, I broke down today and purchased an air conditioner. I don't want to find out how miserable I can be this summer with hot flashes. This is not the "normal" place in the window A/C. It's a portable A/C AND dehumidfier. It doesn't go in the window but has a vent hose (like a dryer vent) that is placed in the window. The unit is freestanding and on wheels. This means I can easily move it from room to room and I never have lift it in and out of the window. It also has a 24-hr timer so I can set it to a warmer temp, while I'm at work. The filter is a reusable filter, so that won't need to be replaced. It can be washed and reinserted.

Debbie and I are going to a play tonight in West Hartford. I kept thinking it was a play by Shakespeare but it's not. It's "The Lion In Winter" by James Goldman. Prior to the play we're going to check out a local pub - Duffy's Bar and Grill. Sounds like it should be a fun place and it's a block from the playhouse. If we like the place, we'll probably spend some "Happy Hour" time there.

No comments: