Monday, February 25, 2008

Take Two, Day 1

I'm ready for my 2nd attempt at quitting and today is Day 1 again. This time, I KNOW I can make it though a few days, so the anxiety isn't as great as the previous attempt. I bought a bag of hard candy and I have my trusty pencil to keep my hands busy.

Whenever Spring decides to arrive, I want to spend as much time outside as possible. Of course, I'll plant another flower garden. Tending the garden will help to keep me busy and out of the house. In the meantime, I guess housework will be my "busy time". It would be great if we had a bout of warm weather so I could open the windows and air out the apartment. For any of you gardeners, where and when can I buy Strawberry plants?!?!?! I've looked for the past couple of years and haven't seen any.

I see Dr. Wasserstein on Wednesday for testing. At the same time I need to speak to him about one of the inhalers. One of the side effects is that it can cause Thrush, and they highly recommend thoroughly rinsing the mouth after the dosage. Well, I've been brushing my teeth AND rinsing with Listerine and it hasn't helped any.

Growing up with all the babies from Catholic Charities, I can recall several babies that had Thrush and it wasn't a pretty site! Mom would use a pacifer dipped in Gentian Violet and it seemed everything would turn this really pretty shade of purple. The baby's mouth, pacifer, bibs, burping diapers, clothing.... Yes, this stuff stains!! While I love the color purple, I'll opt for some other form of treatment.

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

LOL!! but you'd look so cute all stained in purple :-). You sound stronger this time about quitting. Good! I know you can do it. Oh, and if you need house work come on over!! my house always needs cleaned!

Marsha said...

I would love to see you in purple!
You'll make it, I have faith in you. I see my doctor on Wednesday and I'll talk to her about getting a script for Chantix and I'll pick a quit date and try it again myself very soon.

Bonnie said...

Bernie, Maybe you and Marsha could form a support group. Help each other through the battle! Call each other when you feel you want to smoke. Be each others "I'm going to stop smoking" buddies. Just a thought, but I find things are easier when someone else is fighting the battle with you.